Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Brother's Keeper

This painting means different things to different people. For me, I wanted to make a violent painting, and I wanted to make a painting about betrayal. I thought, because Joshua and I are often mistaken for brothers or even identical twins, it would read as brothers fighting one another. Which made me think of the biblical story of the Cain and Abel (from which the title is taken – Genesis 4:9). However most people read it as my wrestling myself, which is also an interesting concept so I like that reading as well. I made three paintings of it, the first two are smaller ( 15" x 15" and 17" x 17") and a larger one ( 59" x 59"). I think the smaller versions are more successful because they are more violent, but the larger one has it's own merits. I made a couple of drawings that were inspired by Jenny Saville's recent drawings.

I included these pictures that Joshua created just to show you what it would look like if I or he really was wrestling ourselves. Turns out that Joshua and I really do look alike.

1 comment: