Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On The Vanguard of Grand Delusion


This painting began as an homage to Euan Uglow in spirit.  He's one of my all time favorite painters and I love how he treats the figure.  It is also born out of insecurity in my mode of picture making that relies on commenting or referencing great art of the past, it's not that I feel negatively about how I build my images, it is more that I am uncomfortable comparing my paintings to the best paintings in western art.  I mimicked Uglow's geometric qualities my adding outright linear elements, and his staccato marks by the use of the blue tape holding up the postcards in the background.  I loved painting master copies of some of my old and new favorite works.  I've included some of the postcard images and many of them appear on other blog postings.

Euan Uglow




William  Bailey







Catherine Kehoe







Rogier van der Weyden




I'm also including my source photograph, for better or worse I invent a lot of the features of the final painting, but I think it's important for people to know or see the process.  I knew where I was going to go with the painting prior to taking the photograph, it's just kind of built into my working method that I will adjust a lot of the features of the source image.



















No comments:

Post a Comment